The following article regarding healthy eating was submitted by a ClinicTrip user.
To lower your risk of chronic illness such as high blood pressure, stomach cancer, osteoporosis, obesity, kidney stones, and other ailments avoid processed foods with high sodium and sugar content. Below are some examples of simple healthy foods. By preparing your own food and using these ingredients, you will eat healthier, manage portion control better, and control salt levels. Here are ten foods, herbs, spices and condiments that have general health benefits.
1. Freshly squeezed lemon is a natural preservative and also a good salt substitute. Juice from limes, grapefruit and oranges are also preservatives.
2. Vinegar is a great low sodium food. Vinegar can be flavored with herbs and spices for dressings, marinades, and other foods.
3. Less sodium soy sauce is another salt alternative. It can be used as salad dressings, vegetables and soups. Soy sauce has a rich flavor and can be used as well as stir-fries and vegetables sautés. Make sure to choose the ‘less sodium’ version of this product.
4. Fresh ground ginger enhances sweet and savory dishes and salad dressings.
5. Oregano gives wonderful flavor to any food, salads, seafood, and pasta.
6. Cinnamon can regulate blood sugar and helps to lower cholesterol. It is a great alternative for salt.
7. Cumin has a powerful peppery flavor with citrus overtones and can be used in sauces and curries.
8. Chopped rosemary and ground rosemary can be added to many dishes to add flavor such as pizza, tomato sauce, beans, potatoes and soups.
9. Basil can be used fresh or ground and adds flavor to pizza, tomato sauce and soups.
10. Fresh coriander makes salads, soups, and stews delicious.
There are many healthy eating sites that will provide you with information on good food. They are excellent resources to look at and may help you eat better and healthier during the week.